Grassroots America Team:
To those who have been concerned about state reps who responded to questions about the Speaker’s race with this answer: “I will support the most conservative candidate for the Texas Speaker of the House,” this was always the right answer! As I have tried to tell you before, several people may get into this race before January 8. Sometimes the strategy to win cannot be put up on billboards. Here is what I can tell you today…
1) State Representative David Simpson has filed to run for Texas Speaker of the House.
2) State Rep. Brian Hughes has endorsed him and dropped out of the Speaker’s race.
3) These men are not fighting. They are not at odds with each other. They made this decision together because they believe it is the wise approach. I agree with their decision and promised both to support them in the decision they made.
4) At this time, there are only two in the race — David Simpson and Joe Straus. We look for the status quo protectors to pull out all the stops to muddy the waters by perhaps throwing a third person or more into the race. We also look for the Austin smear brigade to go after David Simpson with every dirty trick their dark little hearts can dream up. That has not worked out for them so well lately, but this is their well-worn playbook, and it’s all they have.
5) What can you do? Pray for David Simpson and his family. Pray for Representative Hughes. Pray for a statesman-like process that would not bring shame to the State of Texas, and that means praying for Joe Straus as well. Please do not attack state representatives if you speak with them about this race. I am seeing that from other groups, and that approach hurts the Cause of Liberty because it destroys the credibility of those who want the right things, but are going about it in the wrong way. Questioning whether or not another person is a Christian because they may not agree with you is wrong. Calling people names is wrong. Cursing at other people is wrong. Bearing false witness and pushing out unsubstantiated rumors is wrong. Let that not be said of Grassroots America. If we want our elected officials to behave as statesmen, we should set the same high standard for ourselves and model it always.
Please click this link to read an account of this breaking news from the Texas Tribune, which also contains important statements from both Representative Hughes and Representative Simpson. http://www.texastribune.org/texas-house-of-representatives/speaker-of-the-house/simpson-files-speaker-texas-house/
Please watch this important video of Representative Simpson on June 29, 2011, as he delivers his “personal privilege” speech. It was the last day of the special session, and I was seated in the House Gallery. You could have heard a pin drop. It is a rare man who will stand alone in such a situation and state the truth to peers who do not share his values or his principles. This is leadership. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZQdp0sBrtwE
I am on my way to Austin and will send Becky updates to post on the release of our legislative priorities at a Tuesday news conference and the details of our Wednesday meetings with Lt. Governor and other officials on transportation reform. Hope to see you at our meeting on Friday.
JoAnn Fleming, Executive Director (volunteer), Grassroots America – We the People www.gawtp.com
Chair – Advisory Committee to the TEA Party Caucus of the TX Legislature
(903) 894-7204 home office or (903) 360-2858 cell
“If you just set out to be liked, you will be prepared to compromise on anything at anytime, and would achieve nothing.” Margaret Thatcher, The Iron Lady
“You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.” Sir Winston Churchill
Soli Deo Gloria